Ok, we fell into the blog trap. That is, the thing where you have a blog but neglect it and don’t update for a super long time. Well I’m back… at least for now.
Remember at the beginning of the year when we started renovating our bathroom? Then when we did a little bit more work on the bathroom?
Well we’re FINALLY nearing the finish line.
One big concession we had to make was that we can’t do it all. With work schedules coupled with laziness, we knew if it were just up to us, it’d be a bit more time until our upstairs bathroom was done. So we bit the bullet and hired a drywaller to help us get the bathroom going and to do a few more project – stay tuned for those!
So I said yesterday, we went a bit crazy in yard work this past weekend.
A little color never hurt anybody, after all. (Actually, I take that back… did you see the carpet when we moved in?)
If our lack of posts here haven’t been an indication, we’ve been getting a bit, er, stir crazy working in the house.
So of course, when we had an amazing weekend, we couldn’t wait to get outside and do some work in a less confined space.
Our yard needed some help. It was a blan yard mixed of various patches of grass, but mostly just weeds. Lots and lots of weeds.
Being all domestic and such, we were really stoked about being able to grow lots and lots of vegetables this year. So first on the list of yard transformations: a raised vegetable garden!
Here’s what we were starting with. Continue reading
So as I’ve said, we’re taking our sweet old time on the bathroom. We’re lucky to have a functioning bathroom in our basement, which makes things a bit easier. Over the last few days, we’ve ramped back up and are making some great progress, though. Including some big transformations happening with the floor! First things first, we had to get that damn pink bath tub out of the house. It being cast iron, we’re talking about a 320 pound, 5 x 2.5 foot tub, so not exactly easy to maneuver down our winding staircase. So we did this: Continue reading
After demolishing the walls, we next set our eyes on the floor. Now, here’s the thing. Weeks ago, one of the square ceramic tiles that were part of the previous owner’s 1994 renovation, came loose. And under it, there was a flicker of hope. I saw something, but didn’t want to get too excited.
So what I’m really trying to say is that of everything in the bathroom, all I really wanted to do was tear up the floor. Repeatedly, Gabe had to stop me from tearing up the tile before the walls were done. But I just couldn’t wait!
After we removed the wall behind the bathtub, though, it was apparent that my hopes may become realization after all. Continue reading
If you know nothing about old home renovations, surely HGTV has taught you one thing, that there are always surprises lurking behind the walls.
Luckily, we got a lot of those out of the way early. Well we’d been building up to get a lot of drywall work done throughout the house. Filling in some gaps of where we took down some walls, filling some holes, replacing some shotty work and so on. A week ago, I woke up, took my normal shower then went downstairs to walk Sophia. That’s when I saw it. A slow drip of water coming from the ceiling, underneath the upstairs bathroom.
Nooooo, how could it be?!?! Well it was. And that’s how our bathroom renovation project came to be.
Although we were intending to live with the pink tub and crappy tile for a bit, we knew we couldn’t take a risk of just patching the problem with the bathroom faucet, and risk ruining the new drywall work we were contemplating.
The bathroom as we found it when we moved in (save a better shower head and CFL bulbs).
Talk about some serious radio silence for a while.
It’s a new year, so that means it’s time to refocus on getting a new series of posts up. Starting with all of the drafts I’ve had stored for weeks and finally get them live.
One of the big ones, and one of the big cosmetic changes we’ve made, was to remove the old, gross, stained, white vinyl siding from the back of the house. It covers all of the former sleeping porches/ addition areas. It was an an ugly, unexciting white, that desperately needed a face lift.
But what made the matter worse was that on the sides of each of the additions, were old windows. Not just working windows, but windows that the previous owners decided to cover from the inside, but keep them outside, resulting in broken windows that were exposing the interior of the house to outside. So we got them framed out correctly and sided over. Something I’m really glad for doing on day as freezing as today.
But, of course, there was a surprise waiting for us. Luckily, Gabe’s mom Nora, was staying with us for a few weeks as we were navigating some of the big renovations/ moving process and helped us hugely! Continue reading