After months of slowly progressing, we have a library that’s basically finished!
I’ve read lots of posts on other sites about Ikea-hacked billy bookcases and when we went down the road of wanting to build a library, we decided to give it a go.
To start, we had to remove all of the old moulding from the walls that we’d be building the shelves into.
We fit everything into the existing space, cutting out holes for outlets and then the shelves pretty much sat in this states for two months. Hey, we’ve traveled a lot this summer!
But now I knew it was time to bring out the big guns…er, well, the finish nail gun. And of course we didn’t have one so we took the dive in to buy one. At the same time, my 10-year old drill pretty much died so it was time for an upgrade of that too.
Then onto framing. I remember going to Home Depot and thinking “Oh yeah, we can get this framing done in a couple of hours once we start.” Er, no. It took an entire day to frame. With 90-year old walls and floors that don’t like to follow straight lines and a mix of building materials, it took some time.
Once the framing was finally done, it was time to put up plywood to trim out the shelves and cover the framing. As it goes, the store we went to ran out of 1/2 inch plywood so we had to layer with two 1/4 inch pieces. Oh well.