Ok, a lot of the projects we’ve been working on thus far haven’t been the most sexy. That’s about to change.
The kitchen is about to be demolished and rebuilt to a big, beautiful thing. But first, we had to get all of our shit out of the kitchen, dining and rear room of the house. We have a lot of things.
I really, really, really am not going to miss this kitchen. Not the pink counter tops. Not the multi-colored cabinets. Not the cabinet shelves that were never secured properly. No, really none of it.
Now that the floor is leveled, we’re reframing in all of the walls and reducing more bulkhead sizes!
That’s where the ugly support beam was exposed, Sealing it up will make the basement look a lot cleaner and neater.
With the cement board down, the next step is to put concrete down to level the various layers out.
Next, they’ll wrap up the cement leveling, then get ready for the new tile to go down. In case you don’t recall, that alone is going to be a huge improvement from what the flooring was before.
Day 1 ended with the beginning of a period of mess.
First up on the big renovation agenda is to replace windows and reinsulate our two guest bedrooms. It’s been interesting to live in a house with no rear insulation over the last 3 years (sorry about that, house guests).
Once demolition continues, we’ll have new, energy-efficient windows as well as properly insulated walls.
The night before demolition:
It’s been a while since we’ve posted, or frankly renovated, but that’s in the process of changing… now.
We’re working with some great contractors to help us finally do some of the big renovations we’ve been waiting on since we moved in 3 years ago including a full expansion and renovation of the kitchen and main floor, adding a half bath, refinishing the basement and a bunch of other projects along the way.
As demolition kicks off and lots of the unsexy parts of the project begin, let’s just take a moment and look at the kitchen design layout and imagine how great it’s going to be.
Look out for lots more to come soon!
A front door is one of the first things you notice walking up to a house. And the door that’s been on the house since we moved in just wasn’t cutting it… Especially in winter.
So we embarked on the process of getting a new one. Something we put some money aside for, hoping it’d be relatively cheap and easy. We weren’t exactly right. But three contractor quotes later, it’s now in the past.
The old door. Note: old security door, insufficient sealing and casing.
After a few weeks of painting the living room, dining room and kitchen during weekends and after work, we’ve finally (almost) finished!!! Knowing that the near future holds a major renovation for the dining room and kitchen, we decided we should figure out a way to update our dining room lighting on the cheap.
The goal was to somehow get our brass chandelier to connect the living and dining rooms. And why not choose a bold color from the living room to be that connection? We decided to go with the color of our accent chest, since the pumpkins below are only sitting there temporarily.
Ok, we fell into the blog trap. That is, the thing where you have a blog but neglect it and don’t update for a super long time. Well I’m back… at least for now.
Well we’re FINALLY nearing the finish line.
One big concession we had to make was that we can’t do it all. With work schedules coupled with laziness, we knew if it were just up to us, it’d be a bit more time until our upstairs bathroom was done. So we bit the bullet and hired a drywaller to help us get the bathroom going and to do a few more project – stay tuned for those!
After demolishing the walls, we next set our eyes on the floor. Now, here’s the thing. Weeks ago, one of the square ceramic tiles that were part of the previous owner’s 1994 renovation, came loose. And under it, there was a flicker of hope. I saw something, but didn’t want to get too excited.
So what I’m really trying to say is that of everything in the bathroom, all I really wanted to do was tear up the floor. Repeatedly, Gabe had to stop me from tearing up the tile before the walls were done. But I just couldn’t wait!
After we removed the wall behind the bathtub, though, it was apparent that my hopes may become realization after all. Continue reading