So as I’ve said, we’re taking our sweet old time on the bathroom. We’re lucky to have a functioning bathroom in our basement, which makes things a bit easier. Over the last few days, we’ve ramped back up and are making some great progress, though. Including some big transformations happening with the floor! First things first, we had to get that damn pink bath tub out of the house. It being cast iron, we’re talking about a 320 pound, 5 x 2.5 foot tub, so not exactly easy to maneuver down our winding staircase. So we did this: And by we, I mean Gabe. The fact that’s it’s so easy to smash up cast iron with nothing more than a sledge hammer is really crazy. Just like that, we broke it in two and hauled it away. And to make matters even easier, after being put in our backyard overnight, it was mysteriously gone. I’ll chalk it up to saving us the hassle of having to pay someone to get rid of it.
Another one of the big fixes we needed to do with the bathroom was the main water supply going to the second floor. There were no leaks, but the pipes weren’t exactly lined up in the most efficient way.
This is the area on the main floor where the supply comes up. Hard to tell exactly, but it curved out to the left meeting the joints in the top left of the photo, and hanging out into the middle of our living room.
Something like this, but it’s not exactly simple to replicate.We were contemplating soldering in new copper, but after some thought, and suggestions from friends, we decided just to bring in pex piping. Pex is flexible plastic piping that connects ridiculously easily to existing copper. Honestly, it was too easy.
This is a look at the pipes in the living room ceiling.
Now, saving the best for last. Our tile floor is really shaping up. In exposing it, we realized it wasn’t going to ever be that shiny, brand new tile, and that’s exactly what we wanted. It still needs some solid scrubbing, but I have to say, for being 90 years old, this is in really good shape.
As a reminder, this is what the tile looked like previously.
And here it is now after lots of adhesive remover, scrubbing and cleaning: